Rajma (red kidney bean curry)
This dish is extremely popular not just in North India but elsewhere as well. Serve Rajma with plain boiled rice, Kachumbar salad and your favorite pickle.
. 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed under running water .
. 2 tbsps vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil
· 2"piece of ginger julienned
· 6 cloves of garlic minced
· 2 large tomatoes chopped into 1" cubes
· 2 fresh green chillies chopped fine
· 2 tsps coriander powder
· 1 tsp cumin powder
· 1 tsp garam masala
· 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
· Salt to taste
· A pinch of asafetida
· Chopped coriander to garnish
· Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds. When they stop sizzling, add the onion and fry till soft.
· Add the ginger and garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
· Add the green chillies, tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala powders and fry till the oil separates from the masala.
· Add the red kidney beans, 3 cups of warm water, asafetida, Salt to taste and cook till beans are very soft (approximately 10 minutes).
· Mash some of the beans roughly (this thickens the gravy).
·Garnish with coriander and serve piping hot with plain boiled rice and kachumbar salad and a pickle of your choice.